2018 Summit: Schedule at a Glance
Thank you to our Sponsors!
Host Venue: Museum of Photographic Arts, (MOPA) Balboa Park
Presenting Sponsors: City of San Diego, New Belgium Brewing
Supporting Sponsors: Electra Bicycle Company, REI Co-Op, Alta Planning + Design, LimeBike
If you haven’t already registered for the Summit or Events…. Register Now!
Thursday, June 21st 1:00 pm -5:00 pm
PROGRAM PANELS & WORKSHOPS
1:00-2:00pm: MOPA Theater
- Welcome/ Keynote Session Adonia Lugo, Ph.D. Listen to Ms. Lugo speak about her multi-layered approach to urbanism and how it impacts and involves all of us
2:00-2:30pm: MOPA Theater
- Icebreaker: Join yoga instructor and LCI Angela Ledyard from Black Girls Do Bike to loosen up and get moving before two hours of breakout sessions.
2:45-3:45pm Break Out Session#1
- Reclaiming Media and Social Media: SD Model Railroad Museum Theater In this presentation, consider the role journalism and social media play in perpetuating and dismantling stereotypes about women on bikes. Learn how we can each do our part to cultivate a more inclusive and diverse digital community for people who ride.
- Resilience on Wheels: SD History Center Theater Inhabiting public space as women and trans people takes courage, sometimes triggering feelings of anxiety, isolation or fear. Don’t let that stop you. Learn how women and trans people from the U.S. and Latin America are reclaiming public space with this panel facilitated by Carolina Prado, PhD.
- The Role of Advocacy in Transportation Justice: MOPA Theater Change begins with a vision — but doesn’t end there. Meet women dedicated to advancing transportation justice in Southern California and fearlessly demanding better from the region’s decision makers
4:00-5:00pm Break Out Session #2
- Kicking Butt on Wheels: Balboa Park This hands-on workshop is designed to help you stay safe while bicycling, and includes teaching some practical techniques that can be used is a situation does develop. Part lecture, part hands on, please wear comfortable clothing and be ready to learn and have some fun.
- Building Infrastructure for Women: SD History Center Theater Explore how the layout of a region influences how it will be used — and by whom. Meet the women pushing the envelope of urban planning and creating a future where cities are created to empower walking, biking and transit
- Endurance Riding and Racing: MOPA Theater We’re familiar with endurance — a relentless perseverance over time without giving up. Explore the ups, downs, struggles and victories of endurance bike riders — the fastest in the world–from the hills and mountains to the roads.
- Moms, Dads, Kids, and Bikes: SD Model Railroad Museum Theater We’ve all heard the outdated concept of “minivan mom.” Meet families and educators who redefine what family transportation looks like and infuse bikes into everyday life with kids, style and fun in this panel.
- Dr. Adonia Lugo (Keynote Speaker)
- Pauline Callahan, LCI and Black Belt in Tong Soo Do
- Khalisa Bolling, UCSD Department of Family Medicine and Public Health
- Carolina Prado, PhD., Feminist/ Activist,
- Tez de la Tierra, Multicultural Communities for Mobility, L.A. Rooted
- Angela Ledyard, Shero for San Diego Black Girls Do Bike
- Mia Bolton
- Susie Murphy, Executive Director of San Diego Mountain Bike Association
- Kristine Schindler, Bike Walk Solana Beach Committee
- Monique Lopez, Founder of Pueblo Planning
- Dr. Sherry Ryan, Director of City Planning at SDSU
- Sheila Mitra Sarkar, PhD. Transportation Justice Researcher, Fulbright Scholar
- Denise Korenek, Fastest Woman in the World on Bike
- Erin Stephens, Facilitator
- John Walsh, Fastest Man in the World on Bike
- Karen Márquez Saucedo
- Claudia Ramírez Martínez
- Inés de la Crass
- Skii Fleeton, SDCBC Membership & Marketing Coordinator
- Michelle Luellen, SDCBC Programs Director
- Maria Cortez, Community Activist
- Marisa Garcia Mays, Owner of Light Me Up Safety Lights
- Esperanza Gonzalez, Community Activist
- Carrie Hammond, Endurance Athlete
- Francisco Contreras, Founder of KCicletas Bike Club
- Susy Cortes, Community Activist
- Cresencia Garibo
- Kurt Haider
- Karissa Bo Bissa, She Wolves member
- Adriana Souza, International Researcher
- Solstice Ride@ 5:30 PM Meet at MOPA and Ride to Mission Brewery
Friday, June 22nd 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
PROGRAM PANELS & WORKSHOPS
9:00-10:30 am: MOPA Theater
- Welcome/ Keynote Session: Jeanie Ward-Waller, Sustainability Program Manager CalTrans
- Regional Collaboration for Better Bicycling: Featuring a panel of public officials from all over San Diego County.
10:45-12 noon Break Out Session #1
- Bike/Transit Integration: MOPA Theater Randy Van Vleck, City Heights CDC, will facilitate a panel including MTS Chairwoman Georgette Gomez and other community leaders on the importance of providing transit networks and opportunities for bicyclists and the relationship that leads to increased ridership for both.
- Bike Sharing: SD History Center Theater This panel will explore the booming environment for bike sharing that is currently happening throughout the region and the rest of the country. Learn what’s working and where opportunities to improve systems and ridership are as well as the connection to advocacy efforts for safer and more accessible bicycling for all.
- Place Making, Open Streets and Pop Ups: SD Model Railroad Museum Theater Alta Planning + Design will lead this exciting panel discussion on how cities are quickly growing enthusiasm and changing the built environments we live and ride in through demonstration treatments, placemaking and organizing open street celebrations.
12 noon-1:30 pm Networking Lunch: Balboa Park
- Grab a boxed lunch and enjoy the park with other conference attendees. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about their work and share ideas on common projects and programs.
1:45-3:00pm Break Out Session #2
- The Business of Bikes: MOPA Theater This panel will show just how impactful bicycling is to our local, regional and global economy. From large global bicycle companies to the local restaurant that offer discounts to bicycle riders, bicycles truly mean business and this will be an exciting conversation that will include hard data on our regional bicycle industry.
- The State of Bicycling in Cuidades de la Baja: SD History Center Theater Cities of Baja California face challenges from nearly a century of development that prioritizes the flow of motorized vehicles on urban roadways above all other forms of mobility. In ciudades fronterizas, like Mexicali and Tijuana, this tendency underlies diverse social issues, particularly those under the rubric of public health as well as those concerning the cities’ sense of social cohesion. This sesión de trabajo will explore projects and programs that make use of the bicycle to re-humanize city streets in metropolitan zones of the Baja, with participation of civil society, as well as representatives of the state legislature and the municipal government of Tijuana.”
- Trails in San Diego, Making the Connections: SD Model Railroad Museum Theater San Diego’s precious open spaces provide a unique opportunity for people to get from point A to point B, experience nature and have some fun along the way. Urban and rural multipurpose trails provide the potential for quality recreation experiences as well as commuter routes that help alleviate noise, pollution and congestion, and expand the means for green transportation and a community’s connectivity.
3:15-4:30pm Break Out Session #3
- All Things E-Bike: MOPA Theater This session will introduce you to eBikes. Panelists will define the various classes of eBikes, outline current California Law regarding the use of ebikes on the road, as well as give an overview of eMountain Bikes and their use on soft surface trails. This technology and the industry is moving quickly and consumers are excited by the opportunities these bikes offer. Many jurisdictions, agencies, and public land managers are attempting to keep up in communicating current regulations and policies to residents and visitors. This panel includes cycling advocates, land managers, bicycle industry/retail representatives who will discuss the various opportunities and challenges regarding the use of eBikes on roads and trails. Various models of eBikes will be on display and demos will be available during the summit.
- Bikes, the Climate Action Plan and Vision Zero: SD History Center Theater Local/National experts leading the way for Vision Zero and Climate Action will present the latest developments locally and what more cities can do to reach success for their own plans.
- Inspired by Bike: SD Model Railroad Museum Theater Meet these amazing local leaders who do good through bicycling locally and beyond.
4:30-5:00pm Book Signing with Dr. Adonia Lugo @ MOPA
- Andy Hanshaw, Executive Director SDCBC
- Jeanie Ward-Waller, Caltrans (Keynote Speaker)
- Stephan Vance, SANDAG
- David Alvarez, City of SD Councilmember
- Mark West, Mayor Pro Tem City of IB
- Mike Diaz, City of CV Councilmember
- County Supervisor Greg Cox
- Randy Van Vleck, City Heights CDC, Chula Vista Bike Walk Committee and Los Cruzadores
- Alejandro Martinez
- Peter Casellini
- Dave Campbell
- Georgette Gómez, District 9 SD Councilmember
- Josh Clark, Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals, (APBP) San Diego
- Orange County Parks and Public Works
- Alison Moss, Active Transportation Planner (SANDAG)
- Nelson Vails
- Asher Meyers, Aerospace Cost Analyst
- Lenin Ballasteros, City of Imperial Beach
- Samantha Herr, North American Bikeshare Association
- North American Bike Share Association (NABSA)
- Jenny An, (moderator) Alta Planning + Design
- Tuan Richardson, OC Parks Project Manager, County of Orange
- Ryan Johnson, Transportation Planner, Alta Planning + Design
- Kendra Ramsey, Transportation Planner, Alta Planning + Design
- Barry Pollard
- Adam Ramos, PE, Civil Engineer, Orange County Public Works
- Civic San Diego
- Kevin Cox-Electra Bicycle Co.
- Crystal Najera, City of Encinitas
- Carol Hosmer-Selle Anatomica
- John Howard, John Howard Performance Sports
- Craig Williams-City of Carlsbad
- Jeff Motch-Restauranteur
- José Zeferino Sánchez Martínez
- President of the State Commission on Metropolitan Development
- Roberto Romero, Co-Founder Ensenada Se Mueve
- Daniel Rivera Basulto, IMPLAN Tijuana
- Gabriela Guinea Johnston, Socio, Alianza por la Movilidad Activa, A.C.
- John Holloway, KTUA
- Eric Bowlby, Executive Director San Diego Canyonlands (SDCL)
- Susie Murphy, Executive Director of San Diego Mountain Bike Association
- Kevin Loomis, San Diego Mountain Biking Association
- President Jim Baross, California Association of Bicycling Organizations
- President, Casey Smith, City of San Diego Deputy Director of Parks
- Ike Fazzio, San Diego Fly Rides
- Sophie Wolfram, Climate Action Campaign, Director of Programs
- Maya Rosas, Policy Director of Circulate SD
- Chris Ward, District 3 SD Councilmember
- Andrew Bowen, KPBS
- Debbe Simmons
- AIDS Lifecycle/Team Cretin
- Chris Kluth, SANDAG
Bike Love Film Screening Hosted at MOPA Screening @ 6PM Buy Tickets Here: Event included with Summit ticket purchase for Friday or all three days. $10 at the door without Summit ticket purchase.
Saturday, June 23rd 9:00 am – 6:00 pm: Meet at MOPA at 9:00am
PROGRAM TOURS & WORKSHOPS
- Cross Border Ride with Los Cruzadores meet at El Pulpo Mariscos (1900 Main St. #101 San Diego, CA 92113) at 10 am
- ride out at 10:30 am
- World Cup pre-game at El Pulpo at 8:00 am
- Downtown/Urban Tour hosted by SANDAG/Bike SD
- E-Bike Demos With San Diego Fly Rides
- Coronado with Ferry
FEATURED SPEAKERS & GUIDES
- Randy Van Vleck, Allison Moss, SANDAG
- San Diego Fly Rides
- Allie Scrivener, City of Coronado
Velobration! @ 6PM Closing Reception & Fundraiser at the WorldBeat Cultural Center
2100 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101
Buy tickets here:$25, includes a drink ticket and meal
If you haven’t already registered for the Summit or Events…. Register Now! *Scholarships are still available, up to $100. Apply by sending brief statement (250 word max) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full 3-day registration includes:
- Summer Solstice Ride (Thursday)
- Special Movie Screening of “Bike Love” at MOPA (Friday)
- Lunch Included
- “Food Truck Fridays” Available to purchase. Click here for website.
- Velobration at The WorldBeat Cultural Center, Balboa Park (Saturday)
- Dinner Included