Jobs + Internships
Mission: The San Diego County Bicycle Coalition is a 501(c) 3 organization that advocates for and protects the rights of all people who ride. We promote bicycling as a mainstream, safe and enjoyable form of recreation and transportation.
Job Summary: The Bike Coalition seeks an individual with a background in community outreach, promotora health outreach, or community organizing. The ideal candidate will be creative, energetic, well organized, outgoing and passionate about bicycle education and advocacy. To be successful in this position, the candidate needs to be a self-starter and an innovative thinker interested in engaging the general public about riding bicycles as an everyday form of transportation.
This full time position is responsible for community outreach in Chula Vista with the Chula Vista Elementary School District, Imperial Beach with the City of Imperial Beach and Central San Diego with the City of San Diego.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Acting as a spokesperson for the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition at public events
- General community outreach at street fairs, farmers markets and City-sponsored events open to the public
- Business outreach, specifically to: o Imperial Beach Businesses o South Bay Bike Shops
o Other business owners as identified
- School Outreach at Feaster, Harborside, Hilltop Drive, Kellogg, Loma Verde, Los Altos, Montgomery, Mueller, Parkview, Rohr and Tiffany Elementary Schools
- Coordination with school administration, parents and their children, nonprofits and city partners
- Organizing events according to grant deliverables
- Transporting supplies for bicycle education events
- Staffing bicycle education events at various locations in Chula Vista, Imperial Beach and Central San Diego
- Posting of events on social media, before, during and/or after the event has taken place
- Writing reports and collecting event evidence such as sign in sheets and photographs
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Job Qualifications and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Public speaking and communicating about program goals with community members of all walks of life
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to ride a bicycle and a willingness to attend additional trainings in bicycle safety and handling skills
- Willingness to be collaborative and a team player, managing multiple relationships with varied community and professional stakeholders
- Strong personal commitment to the cycling community and the Coalition’s mission
- English/Spanish Language proficiency
Desired Job Qualifications and Experience
The items listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability that will be considered, but are not required.
- League Certified instructor (League of American Bicyclists)
- Experience with public relations, media, social marketing or peer-to-peer marketing
- Professionally trained promatora de salud
- Experience working for a school or non-profit organization
- Experience with publicly-funded grant coordination and reporting
- Family member of a child in Chula Vista public schools
This position requires usage of a personal vehicle, for which mileage and wear and tear of will be reimbursed based on the federal mileage rate. This position requires lifting at least 20 pounds, standing, sitting and usage of a bicycle with reasonable accommodation. The employee will be required to work remotely in a place of choice, such as in a home office, a café or other location most convenient to the employee. This position will be split between two to three City contracts and will be a maximum of 40 hours/week for $15/hour. Health Insurance will be included with this position. This is a contract position which will terminate at the end of the 2019-2020 fiscal year.
Please send resume and cover letter before August 27 to: Michelle Luellen, Education Program Manager at: email@example.com