- This event has passed.
League of American Bicyclists LCI Seminar
June 24 @ 4:00 pm - June 26 @ 6:00 pm$500
Become a League Cycling Instructor!
League Cycling Instructors (LCIs) are ambassadors for better biking through education. After earning certification through a 3-day, League Coach-led seminar, LCIs teach Smart Cycling classes to children as well as adults. Their goal is to help people feel more secure about getting on a bike, to create a mindset that bikes are treated as a vehicle, and to ensure that people on bikes know how to ride safely and legally.
The San Diego County Bicycle Coalition works with local LCIs to provide bike safety classes. Become an LCI and get paid to teach bike skills!
- Interested? Contact Kevin@sdbikecoalition.org
- If you have spoken with Kevin, scroll down to the bottom of this page to register for the seminar.
About the 3-day LCI Seminar
This year’s LCI Seminar will be held at the Oceanside Library in Oceanside, CA.
The LCI training seminar focuses on teaching and demonstration techniques used with future students both on the road and in the classroom. The seminar emphasis is on how to teach bicycle safety and skills so as to provide increased comfort and confidence for new and returning bicyclists and youth. The seminar does not emphasize the content or specific details of the cycling course curricula. It is primarily about teaching, and each candidate will have opportunities during the seminar to practice facilitating parts of the Smart Cycling curriculum, both in the classroom and in the parking lot. The seminar is normally one evening and two full days. Generally, 1/3 of the time is on-bike, so students should be prepared to ride.
Registration Fee : $500
The registration fee is $500 and includes the seminar materials. Download the LCI Seminar Description – great for submitting to an employer or for a grant.
Late Registration: $575 (after May 28th, 2022)
Registration closes on June 3rd, 2022.
Scholarships are available! – Contact Kevin@sdbikecoalition.org
Steps to become a League Certified Instructor
1. Successfully pass the Smart Cycling Complete class with a 85% or better.
- Attend a Smart Cycling Course in Oceanside, Mira Mesa or Downtown San Diego.
- The complete class consists of a 3 hour virtual class (session 1) and on-bike handling skills (session 2). Students will be tested.
- Students may substitute the classroom instruction portion with the online Smart Cycling exam at learn.bikeleague.org. Students will need to review the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced sections online and take the Smart Cycling exam.
- The session 2 on road portion of the class and then final exam must be completed with a current LCI.
2. Join the League of American Bicyclists
- Click this link to join the LAB.
- The individual membership is $45 for 1 year or $80 for 2 years.
3. Register for a LCI Seminar
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending the LCI Seminar.
- Join the League of American Bicycles, you’ll need your LAB member number to sign up for the class.
- This is a 3-day seminar and will require about 3 hours of preparation prior to the course.
- Registration rates increase on May 28th, 2022. (Scholarships are available!) Registration closes June 3, 2022.
- You can apply for a scholarship here. (This scholarship must be reimbursed to the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition in volunteer hours. Read the scholarship form for more details.)
4. Attend all 3 days of the LCI Seminar
- This is an intense 3 days learning about how to teach the Smart Cycling curriculum.
- All candidates must attend the entire 3-day seminar (June 24th from 5pm-9pm, June 25th from 9am-9pm, June 26th from 9am-6pm).
- Registration does not guarantee certification, but everyone comes away with increased knowledge of bicycle safety instruction and will eventually be certified if you put in the effort and time.
- Cancellation and transfer requests must be sent via email to email@example.com.
- A candidate will be given a full refund or may transfer to another seminar if they cannot attend the scheduled seminar due to health reasons.
- Cancellations due to non-related health reasons made within three weeks of the seminar will be offered a transfer. The transfer will be subject to an administrative fee of $75.
- Have you read through all the information above?
- Have you contacted Kevin@sdbikecoalition.org to express your interest?
- Have you completed a Smart Cycling Course?
- Have you joined the LAB?
- Did you complete a scholarship form?
GREAT! You’re ready to register for the LCI Seminar!