Mission: The San Diego County Bicycle Coalition is a 501(c)3 organization that advocates for and protects the rights of all people who ride. We promote bicycling as a mainstream, safe and enjoyable form of recreation and transportation.
Job Summary: This part-time position is responsible for the direction of outreach and advocacy efforts on behalf of the organization. The Manager is the key staff person for the development of strategies to track bicycle infrastructure projects, policies and plans and generate support among advocates throughout the region. The Advocacy Manager will be responsible for the direction of communications to cities and government agencies working to improve the safety, equity and accessibility of bicycling for all.
Reports to: Executive Director
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead outreach efforts to build support for policies and projects to improve bicycling safety and increase bike mode share
- Develop strategic plan aimed at embedding SDCBC as a partner/advisor in the regional planning process for bike related projects
- Develop and support advocacy campaigns, as required, and coordinate and motivate Coalition Members to take action on bicycle projects
- Build and maintain relationships with other community groups and leaders with goals related to bicycling infrastructure improvements, serve as Coalition representative on related committees
- Work with Board Chair, Executive Director and and provide staff support to the Coalition’s Advocacy Committee
- Administer back office needs of program, including record keeping, reporting, and tracking
- Write monthly advocacy content to SDCBC members
- Draft official communication regarding support or opposition to project or policy proposals
- Develop and implement training events and activities to build advocacy capacity both internal and external to the Coalition
- Serve as official spokesperson at public hearings, planning meetings, with the press, etc.
Minimum Job Qualifications/Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities necessary to fulfil this role.
- Strong drive and demonstrated ability to take initiative on programs and strategies
- At least 1 year of volunteer management experience and ability to mobilize supporters
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, written, social media and presentation skills
- Detail oriented
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and programs
- Ability to ride a bicycle
- Understanding of equity and mobility justice as it applies to diverse groups and communities
Desired Job Qualifications/Experience
- Non-profit development
- Experience in bicycle advocacy/safety programs
- Experience with public relations, media, or social marketing or peer to peer marketing
- Spanish language skills
- Urban planning background
Application window has closed.