Strategic Plan 2018-2023
The San Diego County Bicycle Coalition advocates for, and protects the rights of, all people who ride bicycles. We promote bicycling as a mainstream, safe, and enjoyable form of transportation and recreation.
The latest updates on our many projects:
We can save lives with proven traffic safety measures. Email Mayor Todd Gloria and the City Council to demand safer street designs that will save lives. EMAIL THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL 2021 was the deadliest year in over a decade on the roads of San Diego. In the span of twelve months, 109 people were killed in traffic crashes.
The driver who killed Matt Keenan is facing only a three-year license suspension. Attend the sentencing and send an easy email to the judge by Wednesday, 02/22 to demand greater accountability. EMAIL THE JUDGE On September 21, 2021, Matt Keenan left his home in North Park to bike to the movies in Mission Valley. He made this trip often, and
On February 6th, the Carlsbad Traffic and Mobility Commission will be voting on whether to install a single-lane roundabout or a traffic signal at the intersection of Carlsbad Boulevard and Tamarack Avenue. We’re strongly supportive of the roundabout option because it has proven safety benefits for drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians alike. You can help us convince the city to choose
We need your helping convincing the City of Carlsbad to invest in bike safety! On August 23rd, the City of Carlsbad declared a bicycle safety state of emergency after drivers killed two bicyclists in August. Carlsbad City Staff have already used $2 Million in emergency funding to install twenty new green bike lane treatments, twelve digital message boards, and 17
Each year, we work with the City of San Diego to ensure that as many bike projects get funded as possible in the City’s budget. We just submitted our budget requests for Fiscal Year 2024, which stretches from July 2023 to June 2024. We’ll be working hard from now until June to get as many of these requests funded as
The City of Carlsbad is considering options to calm traffic on Tamarack Avenue, and we need your help convincing them to choose the safest option! Tamarack Avenue is an essential East-West bicycle route through the heart of Carlsbad, and provides an important connection to the Coastal Rail Trail. It also serves community destinations including Valley Middle School, Jefferson Elementary School,
July - September 2021
- Organizing partner and speaker with Mayor Gloria and others at opening of 30th Street Cycletrack celebration ride attended by hundreds of cyclists. Project advocacy efforts took years with efforts lead by local community members.
- Advocated for safer bicycling along Pershing Drive after recent fatalities. Held joint press event with partner organizations. Pershing now has a road diet in both directions and interim post and buffer protected bikeway prior to the permanent SANDAG planned permanent protected bikeway.
- Advocated for SANDAG EAP funding allocations to complete planned bikeways in the Regional Bike Plan. Focus in next few months on supporting increase in Transnet funding for future active transportation projects.
- Held five Bike Education events for elementary and middle schools have been completed. The majority of these have been in the North County neighborhoods of Carlsbad and Encinitas.
- Two virtual school assembly events. Both the Bicycle Coalition and the San Diego school system are trending towards in person events although that transition is not complete for either. Each school has its own protocols which adds hours to the planning process.
- We’ve reached nearly 700 kids thus far. Additionally, thanks to virtual events, we’ve had more interaction with parents as well.
- Employer Events have been a slower process. We’re assuming this is due to uncertainty in the workplace, as employees move back into the office. The Account Executives at SANDAG have been encouraged to sign employers up now, for events that may not happen until the spring.
- Move Free SD
- Created videos and education materials about riding through roundabouts and teaching new riders how to bike
- Conducted helmet counts and analyzed data
- City of Encinitas
- Teaching a monthly city cycling class in Encinitas.
- City of Carlsbad
- Created two self-guided bike routes using Story Maps. One of them is a route to visit historical buildings and it will be showcased for Move Carlsbad event.
- The September Smart Cycling Class Road Session in Carlsbad with about five participants
- Taught two virtual Biking with Kids classes in August. One was recorded for the City to share on their carlsbadcommuter.com website. Nine people attended the livestreamed class.
- On August 1st, we celebrated the 30th Street Bike Lane Opening (watch the video)
- Women+ on Wheels
- Held a ride and expo in Penasquitos Creek Park in September. 250+ attended.
- San Diego Design Week
- Led a series of events including a Pride Ride Bike Tour for San Diego Design Week on 9-11-21, about 15 people attended
- Mid-City Bike Program
- This program ended in early October and in total we gave away 70 bicycles, trained five apprentice mechanics, and built great partnerships in City Heights
- Launched Free Bikes 4 Kidz program
- Did our first volunteer event where we had 20 people from Rad Power Bikes come fix about40 kids bikes for the program on 10-20-21
- Successful 14th Annual Bike The Bay held on August 22nd returned as in-person event with 2400 participants – close to the 2019 event participation level. All event logistics coordinated with volunteer committee with social media assistance from Mixte Communications. Post ride Expo featured vendors and sponsor exhibits. Plans for larger 15th year celebration in place for 2022 event.