Strategic Plan 2018-2023
The San Diego County Bicycle Coalition advocates for, and protects the rights of, all people who ride bicycles. We promote bicycling as a mainstream, safe, and enjoyable form of transportation and recreation.
The latest updates on our many projects:
July - September 2020
- Years of advocacy with the community and at SANDAG are starting to bear fruit with the progress being made on the Meade and Landis bikeways in North Park, and the start of construction on the 4th and 5th Avenues section of the Uptown Bikeway.
- The Bike Coalition helped form a broad coalition of community groups to advocate for “slow streets” as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic so people can walk and bike while maintaining appropriate social distance. The City of San Diego responded by implementing slow streets in Pacific Beach and Southeast San Diego, and 11 other cities joined in with the help of a rapid response mini-grant program from SANDAG.
- With our partners at Bike SD, Circulate San Diego, and the Climate Action Campaign, we have pressed the City of San Diego to replace the bike lane removed from Washington St. just north of India St. where a cyclist was recently killed in a hit and run incident.
- The Bike Coalition has joined the San Diego River Park Foundation’s Trails Working Group to work toward filling the gaps and making improvements to the San Diego River Trail from Dog Beach in OB to the new SDSU Mission Valley project.
- Launched the “San Diego County Bicycle Coalition” YouTube Channel with education videos about bike maintenance and road rules.
- Presented 2 iCommute Brown Bag classes to San Diego employers
- Presented 2 Bike Yoga classes
- Presented 2 Bike Painting classes
- Presented Bicycle Friendly Driver class
- Presented a bike fitting lesson for the Chula Vista Sustainability Series
- Presented 2 Basic Bike Skills classes
- Taught 3 small and socially distanced bike rodeos
- Taught 2 bike maintenance and skills session to the City Heights Running Club students and gave away 12 bikes to the participants
- Created a read-along bike safety coloring book for children.
- Shared Vie Cycle’s Untold History of Bicycles workshop
- Partnered with Love to Ride and Scavify to offer 3 week-long scavenger hunts in Imperial Beach in July and September. More than 300 people participated in each challenge and they collectively completed more than 9000 challenges about bike safety, sustainability and Imperial Beach.
- Partnered with Love to Ride and Scavify to offer a 3-week long scavenger hunt in Mid-City. More than 500 people participated and they completed more than 3000 challenges.
- Distributed more than 200 helmets and bike safety items through events and classes
- Started the new SDCBC Board’s new Outreach and Equity Committee, chaired by Denice Williams , Joe Garcia
- Hosted a virtual Bike the Bay ride and Bike the Bay BINGO game on August 23rd, 2020
- Collaborated with Circulate SD and Bike SD to create two virtual/self-guided bike tours to showcase San Diego’s BIPIC History for San Diego Design Week.
- Hosted a month-long Cycle September Challenge in collaboration with Love to Ride
- Hosted two mayoral candidate forums centered around the state of cycling in San Diego