League of American Bicyclists LCI Seminar
August 13 @ 4:00 pm - August 15 @ 6:00 pm$500
What’s a League Cycling Instructor?
League Cycling Instructors (LCIs) are ambassadors for better biking through education. After earning certification through a 3-day, League Coach-led seminar, LCIs teach Smart Cycling classes to children as well as adults. Their goal is to help people feel more secure about getting on a bike, to create a mindset that bikes are treated as a vehicle, and to ensure that people on bikes know how to ride safely and legally.
The San Diego County Bicycle Coalition works with local LCIs to provide bike safety classes. Become an LCI and get paid to teach bike skills!
- Interested? Contact Kevin@sdbikecoalition.org
The LCI Seminar
The LCI training seminar focuses on teaching and demonstration techniques used with future students both on the road and in the classroom. The seminar emphasis is on how to teach bicycle safety and skills so as to provide increased comfort and confidence for new and returning bicyclists and youth. The seminar does not emphasize the content or specific details of the cycling course curricula. It is primarily about teaching, and each candidate will have opportunities during the seminar to practice facilitating parts of the Smart Cycling curriculum, both in the classroom and in the parking lot. The seminar is normally one evening and two full days. Generally, 1/3 of the time is on-bike, so students should be prepared to ride.
The registration fee is $500 (effective April 2020) and includes the seminar materials. Download the LCI Seminar Description – great for submitting to an employer or for a grant.
Scholarships are available!
Steps to Becoming a League Cycling Instructor:
1. Successfully pass the Smart Cycling Complete class with a 85% or better.
- Click here to attend an upcoming Smart Cycling Course in Oceanside, Mira Mesa or Central San Diego
- The complete class consists of a 3 hour virtuall class (seesion 1) and on-bike handling skills (session 2). Students will be tested.
- Students may substitute the classroom instruction portion with the online Smart Cycling exam at learn.bikeleague.org. Students will need to review the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced sections online and take the Smart Cycling exam.
- The on-bike instruction and exam must be completed with a current LCI.
2. Register for a LCI Seminar
- Contact email@example.com if you are interested in attendig the LCI Seminar.
- This is a 3-day seminar and will require about 3 hours of preparation prior to the course
- Registration rates increase on July 17th, 2021. Registration closes July 24th, 2021.
3. Attend all 3 days of the seminar
- This is an intense 3 days learning about how to teach the Smart Cycling curriculum
- All candidates must attend the entire seminar
- Registration does not guarantee certification, but everyone comes away with increased knowledge of bicycle safety instruction and will eventually be certified if you put in the effort and time.